流行玩具 “鬼口水” 含有能导致呕吐和损害生育能力的化学物质。
据一个消费者团体称，在部分厂商出售的玩具中，这类化学物质可能超出了安全水平。英国消费者维权机构 Which? 调查了十一种在市面上流行的黏胶类玩具产品，并发现其中八种产品的化学物质硼含量都超出了欧盟建议的安全标准。
Squishy, gungy, slimy slime. Around the world, children grab it and squeeze it. Every day globules are lobbed at weary adults. To the horror of parents, British TV programmes even tell kids how to make their own.
But when it comes to buying the stuff, the advice from a British consumer organization is to approach slime with caution – and not just because of the obvious reason – you know, its slime! Which? tested 11 popular slime products and found eight contained higher than recommended levels of borax, which is made of a chemical called boron. Boron is what makes the slime sticky.
但在购买这类玩具的时候，英国一消费者组织建议人们应谨慎对待，这并不只是因为最明显的原因：你知道，这种玩具可是黏液做成的！名为 “Which?” 的机构测试了十一种畅销的黏胶玩具，发现八种产品中的硼砂含量都高于推荐水平，硼砂由一种叫作“硼”的化学物质制成。硼是让胶状玩具变 “黏” 的原因。
But Nikki Stopford from Which? says it can make children ill. One product had more than four times the amount of boron the European Union says is safe. The eight products which didn't meet the standards were all purchased by Which? on Amazon, which has now removed them from sale.
但来自 “Which?” 的尼基·斯托普夫德说，该物质可能会让儿童生病。在受检测的十一种畅销产品中，有一种产品的硼含量达欧盟推荐安全值的四倍以上。“Which?” 已从亚马逊网站上购买了八种未达标产品的所有存货，这些产品现已停售。
But Science Communicator Dr Stuart Farrimund says while we should be aware of borax and boron, we shouldn't be hugely concerned.
- squishy 湿软的
- gungy 又脏又粘的
- slimy 粘糊糊的
- globules 小球、小珠
- lobbed 被扔出
- caution 当心、警惕
- recommended levels 推荐水平
- sticky 黏的
- standards 标准
- aware 了解的，知悉的
- hugely concerned 过于重视
2. 阅读理解：请在读完上文后，回答下列问题 。
- 1. Why do you think parents are horrified by British TV programmes showing kids how to make slime?
- 2. Why does British consumer organization Which? think we should approach buying slime with caution?
- 3. True or false? Only slime toys claimed to be dangerous are sold on Amazon.
- 4. According to Science Communicator Dr. Stuart Farrimund, how worried should we be about playing with slime toys?
- True or false? If turtles followed less frequent, stronger cues, they are more likely to lose direction.
True. Scientists found that the species uses a range of weak cues rather than a few strong ones, which could lead them off course (or get lost).
- Where do the female turtles lay their eggs?
They lay their eggs on the land, buried in the sand.
- Why has research into the green sea turtles been difficult to do in the past?
Because of the Ascension Island’s remote location and cost of research, scientists have not been able to understand exactly how they get there.
- What might be the benefit of this research about turtles?
The scientists say that understanding how fish, animals and birds navigate could help them work out how to protect those that are endangered – such as the green sea turtles.